Behemoth… EXTREME!!! To the max

As I had mentioned in podcast 002 (I think, it was such a long time ago) I was going to purchase Behemoth and an Extreme Juggernaut to combine them into the legendary Extremeth. Extremoth? I’ll bounce back and forth. Anyway, that time has come and already passed as I stare up at my nearly full shelves of Warmachine miniatures newly weighed down by the girth of a completed and fully operational Extremeth. Did you read that in the Emperors voice? I did.

As I also mentioned in the podcast someone on the PP forums had brought up me doing a demo of how I did the rust effects on my ‘jacks and true to my word, I will do that. I actually think he/she(?) was referring to the rust effect I use for my non-character ‘Jacks but this will be my character ‘Jack effect which is no less fun. I was going to do a blow-by-blow of how I modded the two ‘Jacks together and even started taking photos of the preproduction but then at some point along the way forgot which threw the whole thing out the window. I got the necessary process shots for the painting but I’ll still do a short summary of the trials and tribulations of the modding process.


Here we see a naked Extremoth next to his good friend Torch for comparison. Sorry but no banana for scale. The cutting/gluing/attaching of the arms went very smoothly. The upper arm joint had a lot of room for the pin to be drilled in and so did the fore arm where the two parts connected. I had wanted to use Behemoths head but also wanted to use Destroyer’s face guard. Unfortunately, after a lot of filing I realized that even if the neck could fit in the torso the face guard wouldn’t clear the head. So I opted to use the Destroyer’s head instead.


There were four knobs on Behemoths face that I cut off and attached to the outside of the face guard. I drilled out the guards holes as well which added a surprising amount of depth to it. The hardest, most labour intensive part of the whole ordeal was cutting apart and sanding down the Behemoths shoulders which I needed to mount the two bombards on. When I had completed the build I looked up how other people had done their mods and found that people had removed that part completely and attached the guns directly to the upper torso or shoulders. I kept the Behemoths shoulders because the guns fit more precisely and they added more bulk to the model. With that, it’s time to paint.


The idea is that at some point this ‘Jack had paint on it but through months or years of service and exposure the paint has been removed exposing the metal underneath which has become tarnished and dirty. I start with a base coat of Khaki Drab. I use mostly Tamiya model paint; the Citadel equivalent is something like Graveyard Earth.



Next I dry brush the whole thing with Gun Metal.



Then I go back and dry brush the whole model with Silver to add to the Gun Metal. I pay particular attention to the areas that would be more heavily weathered like the flaps on the legs, feet, hands and on the gun rails.


Finally, using a palette, I mix up a wash of brown, orange and yellow. I use dollar store paint because it’s inexpensive and gets chalky looking when it dries if you water it down which is the perfect look for rust. I give the entire model a thin brown wash just to make it look uniformly dirty. Then I brush the wash I’ve mixed over the model just letting the colours spread through the water. I try not to mix the wash too well and just let the mixing happen on the model. I add brighter oranges and a little yellow to areas where water would collect causing the most rust like in grooves, around bolts and sharp edges. I try not to control it too much. This technique is all about happy accidents like finding a $20 bill or backing your car over Chris Brown.


After all the washes have dried I go back again and lightly dry bush some more Gun Metal and Silver over the hands and feet. And that’s about it for the rust! Then I paint the rest of it like nobodies business, throw some dirt onto that base with some spent shells made out of cut lengths of straw, dry brush, highlight and you got a stew goin’!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.