Many valuable lessons in today’s game as we smash two titanic warcasters, and their corresponding giant constructs, into each other!
So I’ve finally decided to put on my big-boy pants and start playing the stronger Cygnar warcasters. In my case, that’s eHaley and Siege… and if you’ve listened to/read the reports from Adepticon, you’ll know how well I’m doing with Siege thus far (read: poorly!). Regardless, I’m committed to playing more Cygnar warcasters, and better ones… and after looking at Todd’s offering, I decided that Haley had slightly more game than Siege. At least, in skilled hands… in my hands? Anyone’s guess!
Major Victoria Haley
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers
Cylena and the Nyss Hunters (max)
Alexia Ciannor and the Risen
I’m not crazy about this list… it’s *okay*, but I’m not crazy about it. Alexia, in particular, has proven problematic… too many of my opponents are using RFP or undead armies against me, and that tends to hamstring her pretty quickly. Granted, she’s still pretty awesome just with her default loadout… but yeah… I think I’ll probably have to revisit this list.
As for Todd, he was picking between his eKaya list and the following Morvahna list.
Morvahna the Dawnshadow
– Wold Wrath
– Wold Watcher
– Nuala the Huntress
– Skinwalker Alpha
Gatorman Witch Doctor
Scenario was Recon: central 12×6″ zone, oriented lengthwise, with Objectives on the narrow ends. Two flags on the midline, each 12″ from the edge of the table. Destroy the enemy objective, dominate the flag, or control the central zone for 1CP, dominate the middle zone for 2CPs.
Todd wins Initiative and picks table side.
Marc set the Stormwall slightly to the left of center. Thorn, Haley, and ATGM went to the right, with the Nyss and Alexia to the left. Done!
Morvahna went near the wall to the left with the Skinwalkers, the Wold Wrath went to the right, the Croc Doc went near the middle, the Blackclad flanked far right, and the Bloodtrackers AD’d slightly to the left. They declared the Nyss as their Prey.
Cygnar, Turn 1
– The Stormwall gets Arcane Shield.
– Stormwall and Thorn both run forward
– Nyss spread out, Alexia crafts a Thrall and Marc then forgets to activate that Thrall. Whoops.
– ATGM run up and spread out
– Haley moves forward and casts “Deceleration”. Camps the rest.
Circle, Turn 1
– Todd starts by spreading out and running up the Bloodtrackers, keeping a couple “safely” back near the fence and Morvahna.
– Croc Doc moves up and makes the Bloodtrackers Undead and Tough
– Gallows Groves both Shift themselves forwards
– Wold Wrath moves up and shoots an ATGM. I tell him he needs a 10 to hit, which he boosts and promptly gets… and then Marc remembers that he actually needs a 12 to hit due to Deceleration, meaning he misses.
– Shifting Stones shift up to surround the Wold Wrath
– Skinwalkers run forward and spread out, also keeping a few further back.
– Blackclad moves into the forest.
– Wold Watcher moves up and gives itself “Stone Form”
– Morvahna moves up, casts “Fog of War”, puts “Carnivore” on the Skinwalkers, and we’re done.
Cygnar, Turn 2
Marc starts by giving 2 Focus to the Stormwall and upkeeping Arcane Shield. Haley pulls from the Squire.
– Haley goes first. She moves up to toe into the zone (silly, in retrospect) and pops her Feat. She casts Deceleration again, puts Deadeye on the ATGM, and she’s done.
– The Nyss move up and manage to get 1 Bloodtracker within 5″ (to ignore Stealth). They kill her with great prejudice.
– Alexia moves up and crafts another Thrall.
– Both Thralls run forward
– ATGM activate, spread out, and take shots. First one manages to get LoS to the Blackclad (just BARELY less than 3″ of forest) and drops him. 1 pumps a ridiculously lucky Crit: Brutal into the Wold Wrath that gets the Critical (Todd Shield Guards to the Watcher) and then inflicts a stunning 5 points of damage (at dice-11!). The rest kill a handful of Bloodtrackers… 3-4 in total.
– Stormwall moves in front of Haley protectively and pumps 2 shots into the Wold Wrath for light damage (about 8 points total). Drops Covering Fire between Skinwalkers and my troops, and mis-judges distance with the Lightning Pod so it doesn’t kill anything (BOO)
– Thorn moves protectively in front of Haley
– Junior moves towards Haley to hot-swap Arcane Shield for next turn, if required
Circle, Turn 2
Through the magic of Temporal Mechanics, this is basically another turn for Marc.
– Todd starts by cutting Morvahna for 3 and dropping Fog of War, but upkeeping Carnivore
– Marc activates the Skinwalkers first. They forfeit activation, with 2 moving through the Covering Fires and taking a few points of damage. 1 Engages the Gun Mages, who thankfully are Fearless. The other engages my Stormwall. The rest just move up behind the Covering Fire
– Marc activates the Bloodtrackers next, who also forfeit Activation and move forward to engage my Nyss
– The Wold Wrath goes next. Originally Todd tries to walk him forward before realizing that the Stones were teleported to places that actually make it impossible to move. So instead he shoots and boosts on a Gun Mage: misses, but the Reroll hits and kills 2 ATGM.
– Wold Watcher gets to go next. Walks into the zone, taking a few points of damage from the Covering Fire.
– Gallows Grove in Feat range teleports up
– That’s everything inside the zone. So Todd gets to actually control his army again.
– Morvahna moves up behind Fence and re-casts Fog of War. She arcs a Death Knell through the Gallows Grove onto a Risen, killing 2 Risen and a Nyss (giving Alexia her first corpse! Woo!)
– Other Gallows Grove teleports into the middle of the zone between Marc’s Stormwall and Todd’s Wold Wrath
– Lastly, Croc Doc gives “Undead and Tough” to the Bloodtrackers again.
Cygnar, Turn 3
– Marc goes into the tank for a solid 6-7 minutes (his clock is already below 35 minutes, while Todd’s is well over 45). In the end, 4 Focus goes to the Stormwall, Arcane Shield is upkept, and Haley pulls another from the Squire
– Haley goes first. She moves over to the opposite side of Marc’s objective. She casts “TK” on the Skinwalker engaging the ATGM, hitting and moving him away (and, of course, turning him away). She then casts Temporal Acceleration on the Stormwall through Thorn, moving Thorn 3″ back (closer to safety) as a result.
– Both Thralls activate and swing on the left Gallows Grove, killing it (and healing Morvahna for 1). Alexia gets the corpse, at least.
– Stormwall goes next, and pulls back to stay outside of the Wold Wrath’s charging Threat (12″, I believe). I line up shots on Morvahna, needing 11s to hit:
First shot hits, and figuring that it’s the only shot that WILL hit, Marc boosts damage and cranks it, getting a solid 11 points (leaving her on 5 boxes). Second shot hits (say-WHAAAT?!), and forces a Transfer to the Wold Watcher (doing 10 points to it). Boost the last big gun shot, which hits and kills Morvahna!
Victory to Cygnar!
Post Game Analysis
Well. That was unexpected!
Honestly, I was just trying to put a bit of damage on Morvahna to take some of the edge off her Feat and make her do fewer of those cursed rerolls!